Tuesday, December 15, 2009
I have seen numerous patients this past week who have hurt themselves slipping on ice, shoveling snow or being involved in an automobile accident. So let me give you some advice to help you navigate this slippery season.
I like to call this the rule of threes
- 3 HOURS; For a very minor sprain/strain 3 hours directly after the incident should be plenty of time to start the healing process by doing the following: Rest, apply Ice, Compress and Elevate if necessary. R.I.C.E.
- 3 DAYS; For a moderate sprain/strain 3 days should be enough time to decrease the swelling, bruising, pain and discomfort by using the same formula as above. R.I.C.E. Seeking professional help at this point is advised if your signs/symptoms haven't resolved.
- 3 WEEKS; If you are still hurting after 3 weeks you really need to seek for professional help.
Obviously if you have suffered a head or neck injury, lost consciousness, suffer from neurological signs/symptoms, can see the bone sticking out of your skin, or by just listening to that voice in your head that is saying, "something just isn't right" Then definitely seek the advice of a health care professional. And it is always a good idea to get checked out after an automobile accident whether or not you think you have been injured because chances are you have been you just aren't showing the signs or symptoms yet.
Saturday, December 12, 2009
"This year I am going to fit back into my jeans that I wore in the 10th grade!" so adamantly exclaims half of America.
While the other half start flexing their biceps all the while grunting, " Welcome to the GUN show."
So why is it that we start out so dedicated and focused on improving our health and natural physiques but fizzle out before we even get started? Let me help you ditch the fizzle by following 4 simple things that can keep you on track.
- Write it Down Write down your goal. Use a pen, magic marker, tattoo it on your forearm if necessary but put it in writing.
- Ponder it Daily I didn't say READ it, I said PONDER it. Look at your written goal and imagine your self actually attaining it.
- Say Your Goal Out Loud Frequently Sure it's a personal thing, but don't be afraid to say it to yourself in front of the mirror, the kids, spouse, co-workers, etc.
- Be Positive with Your Goal Don't say to yourself, "I need to lose all this fat!" Instead
say, "I am going to look drop dead gorgeous when I'm skinny!"
Use these tips for the upcoming new year and watch it transform your goals into a beautiful new physique.
This blog will primarily consist of information on Health, Wellness and occasional rantings.
Feel free to click on any of my articles and happy reading.